Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My residence is in texas but I took a job in NC. I have to

Customer Question
keep my residence in texas...
My residence is in texas but I took a job in NC. I have to keep my residence in texas until July due to leases. I will have to get an apartment in North Carolina and commute home to texas until july. Essentially I will be paying for 2 residences. Is there anything I can deduct from these costs?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
10/9/2010
Tax Professional: TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor replied 7 years ago
TaxMomNJ
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor

JACustomer,

You cannot deduct the costs of either residence as a business expense. If you look at Publication 463, http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf, which covers travel expenses, you cannot take any deduction if your tax home is away from your family home. Your tax home is where you are earning income, which is NC in your case. Your family home is in TX.

However, you can take moving expenses, as long as you pay for your move and incur the expenses within 1 year of taking the new job. See Publication 521, http://www.irs.gov/publications/p521/ar02.html#en_US_publink1000203446. There are many expenses that you can deduct, including the cost of your move and your family's move, if they are done at two separate times.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

TaxMomNJ
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
TaxMomNJ
TaxMomNJ
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor