Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What does a 8278 Form look like and where can I download it

Customer Question
at?...
What does a 8278 Form look like and where can I download it at?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
10/5/2010
Tax Professional: Brenda Guy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 7 years ago
Brenda Guy
Brenda Guy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

This form is used by examiners when assessing preparer penalties. It is not readily availalble to taxpayers. You might be able to request a copy from an IRS agent if you are working with one.

Here is a list of the info required for the form:

• 1. Examiners will use the current version of Form 8278, Assessment and Abatement of Miscellaneous Civil Penalties, and will enter the following information:
  • A. Line 1 - Enter appraiser name;
  • B. Line 2 - Enter appraiser address;
  • C. Line 3 - Check applicable box;
  • D. Line 5 - Enter penalty case year;
  • E. Line 6 - Enter the appropriate statute date;
  • F. Line 7 - Enter the appraiser SSN or business EIN;
  • G. Line 8 - Check applicable function;
  • H. Line 9, page 1 column (c) and (d) - Enter the number of violations and the penalty amount (if no penalty is proposed, enter -0-);
  • I. Line 10-13 - Enter examiner name (originator) and the manager name, the date Form 8278 was completed, organization code, and phone number. Both must sign the form in order for it to be valid. If not, the form will be returned to the originator for the signatures using Form 3210 procedures. Statute imminent Forms 8278 will be sent by FAX; and

Edited by Brenda Guy on 10/5/2010 at 8:44 PM EST
Brenda Guy
Brenda Guy