How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been a cash basis service corporation for many years.

This answer was rated:

I have been a cash basis service corporation for many years. I understand that I am forced to go to accrual basis accounting if my average gross receipts for the past 3 years is more than $5million.

My question is when doing this calculation of average gross receipts, can I use the cash basis gross receiipts as reported on my tax returns or do I have to use the accrual basis for these purposes too?
Chat Conversation Started
Charles Greiner :

You can use the cash basis gross recdeipts for the calculation. It sounds as though you feel that you may be close to the required changeover point. If so, you may want to consider doing it sooner so you can be in greater control. You may want to also consider spinning off a portion of the corporation into a new entity. This is something to consider if you have multiple lines of business and one is outpacing the others. For my higher revenue clients with an intense committment to fixed assets, I also usually recommend two or even three corporations - one for operating, one for real estate ownership, and one for equipment. The last two rent/lease to the operating entity. It provides a better security level in a litigous society. Not knowing your business it is not easy to give solid recommendations. I recommend you seek the advice of a CPA who is local to you on this point. Remember the corporations do not need to file consolidated returns.

CGCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions