How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask William Ellis, CPA Your Own Question
William Ellis, CPA
William Ellis, CPA, CPA
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 296
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in public accounting
Type Your Tax Question Here...
William Ellis, CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have filed for an extension of time on my 2009 taxes. I

Resolved Question:

I have filed for an extension of time on my 2009 taxes. I plan to file on or before Oct. 15,
2010. My question is; can I still open an IRA and what is the max I can contribute. I read
somewhere about a "catch up " clause regarding older ( 61 yr.old) people being able to
contribute up to 40K. in one year in an effort to reduce their tax liability.

Do I still have time to do that for my 2009 tax year?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  William Ellis, CPA replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
William Ellis, CPA :

It's too late to open and fund an IRA for 2009. Sorry, Bill

JACUSTOMER-gpndb4ce- :

Not the answer I wanted to hear. But you still need to be paid. Thanks.

William Ellis, CPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you