Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I was informed by letter that I owed 1500. taxes back in the

Customer Question
mid 1980's. I want very...
I was informed by letter that I owed 1500. taxes back in the mid 1980's. I want very much to be right again with the IRS. Due to illness, I haven't worked since. I live with family. What can I do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2010
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 7 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good afternoon. The IRS has a 10 year statute of limitations against the collection of taxes. You should send back a certified, return receipt requested letter informing them the statute of limitations has run and you no longer owe the taxes.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney