Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

IF YOU ARE AUDIT BY THE STATE FOR THREE YEARS AND YOU ARE ORDERED

Customer Question
TO PAY BACK OVER 16,000...
IF YOU ARE AUDIT BY THE STATE FOR THREE YEARS AND YOU ARE ORDERED TO PAY BACK OVER 16,000. HOW MANY MONTHS CAN A PERSON GET TO PAY BACK THIS MONEY IN MONTHLY INSTALMENTS?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
10/4/2010
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 7 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Chat Conversation Started
Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Robin D :

The following is from the SC Code citing Tax Payer Bill of Rights and Installment Agreements:

Section 12-54-840. The commission may enter into written installment payment agreements for a period not to exceed ninety days if it determines that the agreement facilitates collection of delinquent taxes, penalties, and interest owed, and liens have been recorded securing the debt and the taxpayer has clearly demonstrated inability to pay in full. The commission may modify or terminate an installment payment agreement if it determines that the financial condition of the taxpayer has sufficiently changed or the taxpayer has not complied with the terms of the installment agreement. The commission shall give written notice to the taxpayer at least thirty days before the action terminating or modifying the installment payment agreement. The provisions of this section do not apply in the cases where the commission has reason to believe that the collection of any tax, penalty, or interest is jeopardized by delay.

In short the time frame to pay will be based on the taxpayer's financial situation. They expect you to pay the debt off as quickly as possible and that will be based on your income and the amount you agree to pay per month. The interest will continue to accrue even while you are in the installment agreement.

Robin D :

.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful,
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4