How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2429
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a employee for a US based company and will be traveling

Resolved Question:

I am a employee for a US based company and will be traveling to work in Afghanistan on a 90 day on- 90 day off schedule. Our client provides all travel, meals and accomadations. I will return to USA each 90 day tour. I am paid in the US to my US bank account. Do I have any tax concerns outside of my normal Federal and State??
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using jutanswer. As a US citizen ( or Resident Alien) you are required to report, and pay taxes on word wide income. Please see below;

Publication 54 (2009), Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad

I hope this helps
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are there any additional taxes (ie: Afghanistan) or such beyond my normal state/federal?
Expert:  Anne replied 6 years ago.
Hi again

First, we have no tax treaty with Afghanistan (I checked), so that means if they also have a tax system, then you may have to pay them taxes on the money you earn there. Should that happen, there is a credit for paying tax on the same money to more than one country, and you would claim that credit by filing 2009 Form 1116 Foreign Tax Credit

You mentioned that you are an employee, and that your paychecks are direct depoisted, I hope you get a copy also, so that you can see if your employer is taking taxes, (especially Social Security and Medicare). If he isn't taking these taxes out, you will need to file
2009 Form 1040 (Schedule SE)Self-Employment Tax.

I hope this helps
Anne and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you