How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jacy Your Own Question
Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 568
Experience:  Nine years individual income tax preparation and consulting
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jacy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a house in 04 for 750,000. I refinanced and now owe

Customer Question

I bought a house in 04 for 750,000. I refinanced and now owe 875,000. I am about to sell in a short sale and the likely sales price will be 750,000. I want to know how the extra 125,000 will be treated. It's my personal residence, but I'd like to know the tax consequence if it were an investment property as well.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jacy replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Jacy :


Jacy :

In California, mortgage debt is nonrecourse. This means that the bank cannot come after your personal assets to repay this loan.

JACUSTOMER-cbmxmvky- :

Hi Jacy - yes, I know the bank can't come after me, but I'm wondering if this changes the way my basis is calculate - because in this scenario I am basically selling it for what I paid for it 8 years ago.

Expert:  Jacy replied 6 years ago.

Let me clarify. This applies to loans made to purchase owner-occupied residences. Since you refinanced, you will have to check with your lender on whether the loan is recourse or non-recourse.


If the bank forgives the remaining loan balance, you will receive a 1099-C for the amount forgiven. Cancellation of debt income is taxable unless specific conditions are met. There is an exclusion for acquisition debt on your principal residence. Acquisition debt would include any additional debt you incurred whose proceeds were used to improve the property.


Since you asked, if this property was not your personal residence, the income from cancellation of debt would only be exclude if the debt is discharged in bankruptcy or to the extent you are insolvent immediately before the discharge.


I hope this has been helpful to you.


If I have adequately answered your question,
please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work.

If you need more information after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to help you further. Thanks!