How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask William Ellis, CPA Your Own Question
William Ellis, CPA
William Ellis, CPA, CPA
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 296
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in public accounting
Type Your Tax Question Here...
William Ellis, CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if the state garnishees your wages, are they suppose to notify

Customer Question

if the state garnishees your wages, are they suppose to notify you first? If a garnishment has started, can it be stopped or held to allow for the receipt of documentation which will affect the amt being garnished?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  William Ellis, CPA replied 6 years ago.
Unless Kansas operates differently than nearly every other state, they probably have tried to contact you several time over the last two years. Garnishments are generally one of the last actions taken. Call your personnel dept and see if they have a direct contact with the state. I'd also check to see if Kansas has a taxpayer advocate's office. If you can explain the communication issues to someone, they may be able to explain the origination of the notices and help get you an extension. Hope this helps, Bill