How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerri A Harrison CFP EA Your Own Ques...
Gerri A Harrison CFP EA
Gerri A Harrison CFP EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 252
Experience:  27 years of preparing income tax returns - both personal and small business
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Gerri A Harrison CFP EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I havent filed since 2002 but now I must. I have filled out

Customer Question

I have'nt filed since 2002 but now I must. I have filled out the forms and owe about $11,000 without interest. I also owe about $11,000 for 2001 & 2002 including interest.
I am single and have no deductions to speak of. I had a daughter out of wedlock in 1998
and have been paying court ordered child support & medical insurance since. This comes
to over $9,000 a year but her mother won't sign Form 8332 so I cannot claim her. Before
I mail the forms is there anything I can do to lower what I owe? The medical insurance is paid with pre-tax dollars.

HELP! Glen Larson
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Gerri A Harrison CFP EA replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Gerri A Harrison CFP :

All that you have said is correct. You cannot take your daughter as a dependent unless her mother signs Form 8332. You cannot take the medical insurance as a deduction since it was already done pre-tax.

Gerri A Harrison CFP :

I wish there were a better solution for you, but you are pretty much stuck owing the money you calculated. If you cannot pay it in full you will need to set up an installment agrement with IRS to start making payments - it is possible that your child support payments can be lowered as a result of the tax debt but that would probably mean going to court. It is possible an attorney or court order might be able to get your child's mother to sign an 8332 for now and in the future but will certainly not go back to previous years.