Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I bought 200 shares of a stock many years ago at $55 per share.

Customer Question
It has split many times...
I bought 200 shares of a stock many years ago at $55 per share. It has split many times and I now have 1600 shares. I am planning to sell them all. How do I report this to the IRS? I know the date of each stock split but not the price of the stock at that time.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
10/2/2010
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 7 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good morning. As long as you are selling all the stock, it really doesn't make any difference because you know your total basis and your total sale proceeds. You only need to break it down if you are only selling a portion of the shares.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney