How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Who do I ask to get a 2002 tax debt negotiated or reconciled

Resolved Question:

Who do I ask to get a 2002 tax debt negotiated or reconciled? I've been making 365/mo payments for years. I'm now 89. The tax debt will outlast me. I'd rather spend the 365/mo on medicine and comfort.
[email protected]
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Charles Greiner :

If the debt is with the IRS you can call the and speak to someone directly. Look inyour local telephone book for the office nearest you. If a state obligation you can do the same but look up your state tax agency. You should explain that you have been paying this for a long time and, if accurate, that you have never neen late or missed a payment.You should also let them know your age and that with these payments you are having difficulty buying prescriptions. They maky make arrangements more to your liking. Another option is to call a local CPA or tax attorney and ask them to help arrange a more favorable payment plan or prepare an offer in comromise. With an offer in compromise the IRS/state tax people can reduce the remaining debt to as low as 10%. I would try the phone call method first since CPA's and tax attorneys charge for what they do. i know that because I am a CPA.

CGCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you