How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Because I used my parents address for my taxes in 2005 and

Resolved Question:

Because I used my parents address for my taxes in 2005 and 2006 (I thought
it was just a contact address, and not an admission of tax liability), my parents'
local tax authorities (Greensburg, PA) have been trying to get me to pay local
taxes in Greensburg, whereas I had already paid local taxes elsewhere (my real residence
in those years). The sum of money is not so painful to pay -- less than $400.

My question: if I fight it by proving I was not a resident of Greensburg, and the case
goes into audit, can worse things happen? Specifically, can the City of Greensburg start to audit my other tax years, without further reason? If the latter is the case, then it may be better for me to just pay the <$400.


Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Charles Greiner :

Although there is a statute of limitations it does not apply here. You are correct that a mailing address is only a contact point and not your home. Otherwise those with PO boxes would be living in extremely tight quarters. That aside ypu need to prove the the City where you actually reside. This can be done by spuulying copues of utility bills, drivers license, bank statements, credit card billing statements, rent receipts or agreement , mortgage statement. Basically any documents that prove where you actually live. The more the better as, in this case, bulk helps prove your point. They can audit you for other, more currect years but if you can prove your point they will likely not bother. In the absence of that I would suggest sending a letter attesting that you do not live there and giving your actual address along with a few letters from friends or coworkers who know where you live and have lived. Remember that you need to prove the point that you did not live at your parents in 2005 and 2006. Absent an ability to prove your point I would pay them and start using an address in the community where you actually live.

CGCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you