How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55132
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents are hoping to divest some of their income to have

Resolved Question:

My parents are hoping to divest some of their income to have a lower tax liability.
They have been making gifts directly to children and also to educational institution (for tuition) and medical institutions (for grandchildren's dental work).
I am wondering if a contribution directly to a Long Term health policy of a child could be considered also a deductable item?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good afternoon. This would reduce their asset based and thus lower their income because they would have a lower asset base upon which to earn income, but it would not be a tax deductible expense.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
By asset base, do you mean that if this were spent from their income - it would mean they had less money to invest and hence less returns?

Are there other types of gifts they could contribute to other than Education and Medical?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Yes. They can make any gifts they want, but they will not be income tax deductible.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Money paid for a relative's Long Term Insurance would then not have to be reported as income? Similar to payments to an educational institution not being reported as income?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
It would be a gift, not income.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
As a gift would could this then lower their income base that is reported to IRS.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
No, gifts do not result in a deduction from your income for income tax purposes. The two concepts are separate and distinct.
Richard and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you