How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55132
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am planning to include my son on a piece of real estate property.

Resolved Question:

I am planning to include my son on a piece of real estate property. He is currently single.
Hopefully if he gets married in the future he would have a prenup. How can I protect myself
if he would get married and meet his untimely demise (with no prenup). Would his then wife
get his share of the property? Could I have a legal agreement between him and myself that he has to get a prenup before marriage or the property reverts back to me?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good evening. You can do one of two things....i) you can own it as joint tenants with right of survivorship so that if one of you dies, 100% ownership of the property automatically vests in the surviving owner...that covers you in the event of death; or ii) you can put a reversion provision in the deed that as long as your alive, if your son gets married without a prenuptial agreement...although this property will still be his sole and separate property even after marriage...that his interest automatically reverts to you.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions