How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask William Ellis, CPA Your Own Question
William Ellis, CPA
William Ellis, CPA, CPA
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 296
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in public accounting
Type Your Tax Question Here...
William Ellis, CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What does FC mean on W2C?

Resolved Question:

I'm preparing a W2c for state wages reported. The correction needs to be zero in box 16. I've seen the initials FC put in this box and I don't know what that means. The same employee had a corrected W2 for 2008 and it's the same issue. I didn't prepare the 2008 correction but have to prepare one for 2009. I don't want to mimic the prior year correction of FC in box 16 without knowing what it means. Please help. The IRS W2c instructions say "contact your state or locality for specific reporting information." Online research hasn't been helpful. Thanks

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  William Ellis, CPA replied 6 years ago.

Good morning. There is nothing in the instructions for Form W-2c to indicate entering anything but the amount for state wages. I would simply enter the correct amount there and submit this to your state's department. Hope this helps.


And if the amount is zero, just leave it blank? The Instructions on W2c say for box 16 refer to state for specific reporting information. I can't find anything about state reporting. Specifically California.

William Ellis, CPA :

This is a federal form, so you won't find CA-specific items in the instructions. If the original W-2 showed CA wages, put that amount in the Previously Reported column and $0 in the Correct Information column. Don't forget to file a W-3C as well. Thanks.


Got it, thanks

William Ellis, CPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you