How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A married couple live in two different states in which they

This answer was rated:

A married couple live in two different states in which they both have residency in the individual states and both work in the separate states. They want to file a joint federal tax return, but can't then file separate state returns, what is the best way to handle this situation with the two different states?
Chat Conversation Started
Charles Greiner :

They can file a joint Federal return and then file 1 state as joint and residents. On this state return they can claim a credit for the tax paid to the second state. The second state will be filed as usual. Many states permit this and offer differing credit rates so it is in your best interest to determine which is to your advantage. Then substantiate this by having a joint account in the better state and use it as the mailing address for the returns.

CGCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you