Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

can IRS take proceeds of life ins. policy on deceased spouse,

Customer Question
even if the surviving spouse...
can IRS take proceeds of life ins. policy on deceased spouse, even if the surviving spouse (beneficiary) had no part in deceased spouse's corporate tax liability
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
9/3/2010
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 7 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello JA Customer,

If the deceased spouse was the owner of the life insurance policy, then the proceeds of the policy become part of the deceased person's estate, regardless of who is actually listed as the beneficiary on the policy. If the deceased person owes a tax debt to the IRS, they can take the proceeds from the life insurance and any other estate assets in order to satisfy this debt.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.

Thank you

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant