How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lived in Arizona about five years ago and now reside in New

Resolved Question:

I lived in Arizona about five years ago and now reside in New Jersey. The State of Arizona is saying that I have delinquent income tax from over eight years ago. What can they do now that I live in NJ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,


The state of AZ is no different than any other creditor that you may owe. If the tax debt is not settled, they can obtain a court judgment which will allow them to place a garnishment on your wages and levies on your bank accounts, home or other assets. It will not matter that you no longer live in AZ.


The state should, however, provide you with details on how they arrived at this delinquency. However it will still be up to you to show proof that taxes were paid for the period they say is delinquent.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.


Thank you





Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you