How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One of my family members who have been out of work for a while,

Customer Question

One of my family members who have been out of work for a while, a tax person file some type or rebet I don't realy know what she file,she said could not have file a return to do this . But She recieve 2,300$. The tax person charge her 1,300 to it. I have been out of work I need some help. But I need the 1,300 she gave up. Came you help me.

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello Vivian,


There is no way to know for sure what this tax person filed for your family member, but more than likely it involved an illegal practice.


The IRS does not simply issue rebates or refunds of any kind to people simply because they are out of work. The IRS does have a credit called the Earned Income Credit (EIC) which allows taxpayers in a low tax bracket to qualify for a refund that is more than the amount they actually owe in taxes. The refund is even larger if that taxpayer has dependent children. In order to be eligible for the EIC, the taxpayer must have had at least some amount of earned income for the year.


The "scheme" that some people will use is to file a false tax return with the IRS and claim that the taxpayer did have some income for the year. Sometimes the filer of the return will also show that the taxpayer had dependent children, even though this may not be the case. What they do is use names and social security numbers of other children who are not being claimed by their parents.


I cannot say for sure that this is what was filed on behalf of your family member, but based on the information you provided, there is a good likelihood that this is what has happened. I highly recommend that if anyone offers to file on your behalf for a rebate, that you check this out thoroughly, as if they file a false return under your name, you could be prosecuted by the IRS for the fraudulent filing of a tax return.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.


Thank you