How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 38879
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Tax Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my ex wife and i are going to court over spousal support. i

Customer Question

my ex wife and i are going to court over spousal support. i retired june 23rd and she immed got half of my strs ( state teachers retirement) i had her served sunday to lower the amnt or for the court to do so
before that i received a legal (?) form in the mail she had had somebody fill out stating she wanted to be paid for 31 yrs of marriage

she has done the taxes for at least the last five years and has repeatedly assured me there was no return
i seriously doubt that now in light of the recent events
i need to get a copy of the last 5 years' returns- not all the pages- lets not kill the environment- simply the pages stating the return or the pages indicating the return
i need them by the end of the day
as we go to court on tuesday
if that is not possible then a message that reflects my message and what is needed
to complete the process

gracias XXXXX 1210 Petree 227 el cajon ca 92020

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

If spousal support is at issue in a hearing, then your spouse is legally required to produce her last two years tax returns, along with a filled-in Form FL-150, and her last two paystubs, if any.


If she does not produce these forms for the hearing, then you can ask the court to "trail" the matter to another date, and order your spouse to produce the tax returns.


If your spouse claims that there are no returns, then you can ask the court to "trail" the hearing for 45 days, while you attempt to obtain the returns directly from the IRS, and you can ask that the court order your spouse to execute an IRS form 4506 (which you will have conveniently filled out in advance, and brought to the hearing).


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.