Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am harvesting the timber on my farm land ----- what federal

Customer Question
I am harvesting the timber...
I am harvesting the timber on my farm land ----- what federal taxes will be owed
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
9/3/2010
Tax Professional: Anne, Master Tax Preparer replied 7 years ago
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Chat Conversation Started
Anne :

Hello

Hi

Thank you for using justanswer. If you held the timber primarily for sale to customers, or if you are cutting the timber yourself and selling it as firewood,or pulp wood, then this is ordinary business or loss included in your Form 1040 Schedule F.

If you are selling standing timber that was NOT held for sale to customers, then this is a capital asset, and the sale is reported on Form 1040 Schedule D. You would only need to pay tax on the difference between your cost into the tree (which may very well be $0 if you didn't plant them, grade the land for them, etc. but I wanted to mention that if you have a cost associated with the timber, you will want to use that to lower your tax liability)

Please see below for more in depth information (especially page 53)

2009 Publication 225 irs.gov/irs/cda/common/images/pdf-16x16.gif" border="0" alt="PDF" title="PDF"/>Farmer's Tax Guide

I hope this helps

I
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Anne
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer