Ask Gerri A Harrison CFP EA Your Own Ques...
Gerri A Harrison CFP EA
Gerri A Harrison CFP EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  27 years of preparing income tax returns - both personal and small business
21040383

I guess I didnt get the answer to my question earlier today.

Customer Question

I guess I didn't get the answer to my question earlier today. I'm in Missouri and buying something from Nebraska, I am shipping my order to New Jersey, but billing my customer in Missouri. Nebraska wants a tax exempt certificate from New Jersey or wants me to pay sales tax. Missouri and New Jersey are the same company, but bills are paid out of Missouri. What do I do?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Gerri A Harrison CFP EA replied 6 years ago.
It does not matter where the bills are paid out of. What matters is where the product is being shipped to. Since you are shipping to NJ then you are required to pay NJ sales tax. If you want to avoid the NJ sales that then you need to ship to the MO office and have them forward it to NJ. This of course might cause you to have to pay MO tax.