How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been contruting to my my IRA on an after tax basis for

This answer was rated:

I have been contruting to my my IRA on an after tax basis for a number of years. Can I transfer the principal amount contributed to the IRA (not the interest or cap gains) into a Roth IRA without any tax implications. For example if I had contributed 2K to a plain IRA on an after tax basis and the acount is now worth 2.5K can I transfer 2K to a roth IRA without any tax implications and leave .5K in the plain IRA account. I would think that i can becasue i have already paid taxes on the intial contribution to the plain IRA

Hello JA Customer,


You can convert part of your after tax IRA to a Roth without any tax implications, but you cannot pick and choose which of the conversion amounts apply to your after tax contributions and which apply to earnings. The withdrawals or conversions that you make from a tax paid IRA are treated as partially applying to your contributions and partially applying to the earnings on the account.


Just to give you a simplified example -- if you made $4,500 in tax paid contributions to an IRA and the account has earnings of $500, the total account is now worth $5,000. Ten percent of the total is attributed to earnings, so when you make a withdrawal, 10% of the withdrawal is taxable. In other words, if you only withdrew the $4,500 which is the amount you originally contributed, you would still be taxed on 10% of that amount (or $450) and the other $4,050 would not be taxable. Then once you withdrew the remaining $500, you would pay taxes on $50 (10% attributable to earnings) and not pay tax on the remaining $450.


You actually need to fill out IRS Form 8606 to calculate the percentage of your withdrawals that would be subject to tax.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.


Thank you



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you