How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JKCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5884
Experience:  CPA with tax experience.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
JKCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my mother give her two sons more than 13000.00 a year without

This answer was rated:

Can my mother give her two sons more than 13000.00 a year without paying a gift tax. It would be less than 175000.00 each.


Thanks for your question.


If your mother has not given more than $1 million in her lifetime, she will not have to pay a gift tax because of the lifetime exclusion. However, even if no tax is due, a gift tax return, Form 709, would need to be filed by your mother since the amount given is over $13,000. The receiver of the gift does not need to file or claim any gift. The due date for Form 709 is the same as the Form 1040 deadline, April 15, after each tax year.


For reference, see Publication 950, Introduction to Estate and Gift Taxes

Hope this helps,
Best regards,

JKCPA and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you