How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 38801
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Tax Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am a veteran and also a spouse of an active duty service

This answer was rated:

I am a veteran and also a spouse of an active duty service member both living in California because he is currently stationed there. Since the end of my enlistment, I started collecting unemployment in California. I am still technically a resident of Idaho. Will I have to pay state taxes to Idaho and to California next year? Also, we will be moving to Germany in a couple months, if I were to get a job working on the bases over there and I still maintain my residency to Idaho, will I have to pay state taxes for that as well? Thank you.

You will owe California taxes on your nonresident income from California sources (e.g., unemployment). You will owe Idaho taxes because you are an Idaho resident. However, to the extent that you pay CA taxes, you will receive a credit against your Idaho income tax.


When you move to Germany, you will owe only Idaho taxes.


See generally, FTB Pub. 1032.


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Edited by socrateaser on 9/3/2010 at 12:37 AM EST
socrateaser and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you