How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15182
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am selling agriculture land in a rural area that I have owned

Resolved Question:

I am selling agriculture land in a rural area that I have owned for 15 years but this was land transferred from a relative and I therefore have no cost base. Is the full selling price of the land taxed at long-term capital gains rates all in the year of the sale?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.
You stated that the land was transferred to you from a relative. If this relative gave you the property then you have the same cost basis as the relative had when they gifted the property to you. If you inherited the property your basis would generally be fair market value on date of death. So depending on how you actually acquired the property would determine your basis and thus determine your gain or loss.
Land and depreciable property you use in farming are not capital assets. Noncapital assets also include livestock held for draft, breeding, dairy, or sporting purposes. If you were using this land in the business of farming then you would show the sale on Form 4797 as ordinary income. If this is just rural land that you received and you were not using it as farm income then you would report the sale in the year of the sale and capital gains would be shown in same year using Schedule D.
I hope this information is helpful,

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you