How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2429
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I complete a schedule c for my small business (sole prop).

This answer was rated:

I complete a schedule c for my small business (sole prop). If I use the mileage instead of vehicle expenses, can I still use my tolls and parking expenses as deductions?

Also, I changed cars on 5/01/2009. The car I used from 1/01/09 to 4/30/09 was a lease and turned in. Where do I indicate this? Thank you.
Hi Customer

Thank you for using justanswer. Yes, you may claim your parking and tolls as an expense even if you claim the standard mileage deduction. Please see below:

Parking fees and tolls.

Normally, when you own a vehicle that you used in business and took the standard mileage deduction, and you trade that car in, the a portion of the standard mileage is considered depreciation, and if you trade that car in for another, then you must adjust that basis of the new car by that depreciation portion.

Since you don't own the leased vehicle, this does not apply, so there should be no tax consequences for turning the leased car back in

I hope this helps
Anne and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions