How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxMomNJ Your Own Question
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 245
Experience:  7 years experience with tax preparation company, over 500 hours of tax courses taken
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxMomNJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am preparing some behind missing tax returns. What figure

This answer was rated:

I am preparing some behind missing tax returns. What figure do I need to put in my tax regarding the sale of my home? The sale paid off my mortgage, and I carried paper, and received some funds. Would I be reporting the funds that were disbursed to me? And in the following years, what figure do I report for the payments the buyer has been sending me?



What is your filing status? Are you able to calculate what your gain is?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I don't understand the question. For the other missing tax years, I don't have any problem figuring out my taxes. But for the year we sold our home, I wondered if they wanted the actual sale price or what I netted.



Okay, let's go back. What year did you sell the house?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
2004 I sold the house. Really, I doubt it depends on the tax year except for the amounts that may be exempt or whatever. I just wondered whether to put in the 280K I sold it for or the $50k I actually received.



If the house you sold was your main residence, you owned the home for at least 2 years, and used it as your main residence for 2 of of the past 5 years, you are not taxed on a gain of less than $250,000 ($500,000 if Married Filing Joint). You do not need to report the sale if this situation applies to you.


If all you received is $50,000, and the above requirements are true, you do not need to report anything at all.


See this link for reference:,,id=199598,00.html


Please let me know if I can assist you further.

TaxMomNJ and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you