How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RD Your Own Question
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8784
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
Type Your Tax Question Here...
RD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is a resisdent alien , age 68 he owned a house

Resolved Question:

My husband is a resisdent alien , age 68 he owned a house in foreign county . He
sold the house last year.. money remains in foreign bank account.. he has been transfering money electronically to US bank.
Is this reportable income.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
RD :

Gain on sale of the home last year will be reported on your US income tax return and be taxable in US. You will get a credit for the foreign tax that you paid in that country so to some extent you will not be taxed twice on this gain.

RD :

Money that you bring into the US from the sale will not be taxable.

RD :

Gain will be calculated as sale price less selling expenses less cost of the house less improvements, if any.

RD :

I presume this was not a rental property.

RD and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you