How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chad Oberg Your Own Question
Chad Oberg
Chad Oberg, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 174
Experience:  10 + years of accounting and tax experience, financial statements and business planning
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Chad Oberg is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A tax on profit question I have some one interest to buy

Resolved Question:

A tax on profit question:

I have some one interest to buy my investment property at a set price. But the buyer want to settle at the end of 2 years. If I enter the contract now with settlmet in 2 years, will I have to pay tax on the capital gains this finacial year or I will pay tax at the actual seetlment finacial year?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Chad Oberg replied 7 years ago.



No you do not have to recognize the entire sale in the first year. You could set-up what is called an installment sale which can be utilized several ways. However, a common way is to agree on a sales price of which a portion is received now and then an installment is received (plus interest on the note) in the next couple years. This can be spread out even further than 2 years if desired. Please see the below attachment which contains IRS Publication 537 which provides further guidance to these types of transactions.


You will need to make sure you have written contract with all the specific agreement included. The calculations can get complex and you may want to consult with your tax adviser who understands these transactions. This service is to help you go in the right direction. However, it cannot cover all the intricacies of complex transactions such as installment sales and guarantee success under an inquiry from a taxing agency.


If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.






If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.





Chad Oberg and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you