How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I live in Utah and am attempting a short sale on my

This answer was rated:


I live in Utah and am attempting a short sale on my home.

We have recieved an offer for 100K, and owe approx 165K.

We have missed the last couple of payments.

If the short sale is accepted I understand there is a tax burden in the form of a 1099 for the amount forgiven.

Is there any way to write off or be forgiven of this tax?



Is this home your primary home that you live in or is this a vacation home or rental property?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am presently divorced, but it was our primary home. My ex wife presently lives in the home.

Hello againCustomer


Normally when you have a debt that is canceled or forgiven, you are responsible for paying taxes on the amount of the forgiven loan. However, due to the recent mortgage lending crisis in our country, Congress has enacted temporary legislation which allows taxpayers to exclude canceled debt from a foreclosure on their primary home from being taxable income.


The Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007 allows you to exclude certain canceled debt on your principal residence from your income. It applies to mortgage debts that are canceled during the calendar years of 2007 through 2011 . You would still receive a 1099-C form from your bank showing the amount of the debt that was canceled, but you will file Form 982 which you attach to your tax return, and claim an exclusion for paying taxes under this new law.

You simply need to file Form 982 with your tax return. Check the box on line 1e showing that you are claiming exclusion of debt on your principal residence. And then on line #2, enter the amount of the canceled debt as shown in box #2 of the 1099-C form. You will then not need to pay taxes on this forgiven debt.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.
Thank youCustomer/p>



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you