Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How do you determine the equity in a company from corporate

Customer Question
taxes? Which schedules would...
How do you determine the equity in a company from corporate taxes? Which schedules would determine this?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
8/4/2010
Tax Professional: MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 7 years ago
MequonCPA
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

DearCustomer-

Corporate equity can be easily found on Schedule L of Form 1120/1120S. It is a combination of all lines from Capital Stock to cost of treasury stock. This is the book equity of the company. It may or may not be the true equity of the company because many if not all assets are carried at cost and/or are depreciated.

So what are Schedule K and M. Do they have anything to do with the equity of a company?

DearCustomer-

Whether C or S Schedule M-1 reconciles book income with tax income. The book income is then added to retained earnings or S corp equity accounts on Schedule M-2. M-2 is the "retained earnings" portion of the equity. It does not include stock, paid in capital or treasury stock.

Schedule K on an S corp return shows the various types of income/deductions. These amounts are combined and totaled on line 18. This amount should match line 8 on Schedule M-1.

MequonCPA
MequonCPA