Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

legal question: If I declare bankruptcy, does it protect me

legal question: If I declare bankruptcy...
legal question:
If I declare bankruptcy, does it protect me from the tax man?
8/3/2010
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello youngwolf,

If the income tax debt meets all five of these rules, then the tax debt is dischargerable in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy petitions.

1. The due date for filing a tax return is at least three years ago.
  2. The tax return was filed at least two years ago.
  3. The tax assessment is at least 240 days old.
  4. The tax return was not fraudulent.
  5. The taxpayer is not guilty of tax evasion.

Thank you youngwolf

I meet all of those conditions.
How do i file bankruptcy and how much more will it cost me?
Will it stop levies against my back accounts?

Hello again youngwolf,

Unfortunately you are now asking questions that need to be addressed by a bankruptcy attorney. The question you first asked was posted in our tax forum but we cannot also answer legal questions.

Once your bankruptcy is filed then any collection activities against you should cease until the bankruptcy has been finalized. But as far as the fees involved and how to proceed, you need to seek the advice of a bankruptcy attorney who can help you with answers to those questions.

JA does also have a legal forum if you would care to post a new question for one of the attorneys in that forum.

Thank you youngwolf

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant