How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband passed away april 29, 2010 and was retired from

Customer Question

my husband passed away april 29, 2010 and was retired from END a divsion of GM. I am a surviving spouse entitled to a portion of his pension (1400.00 a month). He took a lesser amount of his pension so that I would have this surviving benefit. Is this amount taxable for me? Both federal & state. I am a resident of lexington, kentucky.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello Patricia,


Yes, this pension income will be taxable to you, the same as it was taxable to your husband. It will be taxable at both the federal and state levels.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any questions for helping with these questions.


Thank you Patricia