How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is retired educator....however works to earn a partial

Resolved Question:

My wife is retired educator....however works to earn a partial salary that in turned is used to pay health insurance premiums...we have to declare this as income earned but 100% of it goes for medical expenses...How do I reflect this on tax return?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,


If your wife's employer is not providing her with any medical insurance benefits and she is simply paying these premiums on her own with the money she earns working part time, the only deduction you are allowed is to include the cost of those premiums as part of your medical expenses on Schedule A for your itemized deductions.


There is no other way to exclude or directly deduct the cost of these premiums.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.


Thank you JA Customer



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you