How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I put $5,000 in a IRA about 1 and a half ago. I was only able

This answer was rated:

I put $5,000 in a IRA about 1 and a half ago. I was only able to deduct $690 on my tax return because my income was too high. If I were to withdraw my money because of hardship, what do I have to claim on my tax form. I made aproximately $1,100. So I will be taking out $6100.

Also, what are the income tax levels for couples. We make aproximately $130,000. I know at certain income amounts your rate goes up.



The $4,310 which you were not able to deduct when you contributed to this IRA will not be subject to any taxes or penalties. However, the $690 pre tax portion of your contribution plus the $1,100 in earnings will both be subject to ordinary income taxes plus an additional 10% early withdrawal penalty if you are under the age of 59-1/2 when the funds are withdrawn.


There are some exceptions to the 10% early withdrawal penalty. You can avoid this penalty if the funds are used for one of the following reasons:


The early withdrawal penalty will not apply if you become disabled or die or if you use the money to:

  • Purchase a home for the first time ($10,000 lifetime cap)
  • Fund qualified higher education expenses
  • Cover deductible medical expenses
  • Pay health insurance premiums if you have been receiving unemployment compensation for at least 12 weeks
  • Pay a federal tax levy

Based on income of $130,000 a year for both you and your wife, your tax rate on this withdrawal would be taxed at 25%, plus the additional 10% penalty if one of the above exceptions does not apply.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.


Thank youCustomer/p>



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you