How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a tax question regarding the The Mortgage Debt Relief

Resolved Question:

i have a tax question regarding the
The Mortgage Debt Relief Act of 2007
i owe 410k on my house. the bank has made me an offer if i can obtain 3rd party financing to pay of the loan amount at 180k. its called a short refi. They will be issuing a 1099c for the difference. My question is, will the Debit relief act apply here to me?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello gkracer,


The Mortgage Debt Relief Act of 2007 generally allows taxpayers to exclude income from the discharge of debt on their principal residence. Debt reduced through mortgage restructuring, as well as mortgage debt forgiven in connection with a foreclosure, qualifies for the relief. Your situation would be considered mortgage restructuring and would qualify for the relief.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.


Thank you gkracer




Merlo and 7 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you