How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15315
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This question concerns Ohio State Income Tax. I plan to move

This answer was rated:

This question concerns Ohio State Income Tax. I plan to move to Ohio in September for a job with the Air Force. My husband is considering staying in New Hampshire - where there is no state income tax. We always file jointly for Federal Income Tax. When I have to file an Ohio State Income Tax form , will my husband's income (not earned in the state of Ohio) be considered income subject to Ohio State Tax? In other words, even though my husband's income is not earned in Ohio and he will not be an Ohio resident, will we be required to report his income and pay Ohio State Income Tax on his income?

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

The starting point for the Ohio individual income tax return is your properly computed federal adjusted gross income that is reported on your federal income tax return for the same year. If you and your spouse file a joint return for Federal then you are required to file an Ohio joint return providing you are working for the Air Force and not a member of the military in the Air Force.

The following is from the Ohio instructions for taxpayers:

If you and your spouse filed a joint federal income tax return, you must file a joint Ohio income tax return. Even if you are both Ohio nonresidents, if you filed a joint federal income tax return, you must file a joint Ohio income tax return, but you may claim the nonresident credit (Schedule D) for income neither earned nor received in Ohio. If you and your spouse filed separate federal income tax returns, you must file separate Ohio income tax returns.

The above means that your husband's income can be shown on the Schedule D for Ohio to exclude it from tax.

If you and/or your spouse are not residents of Ohio and your fi ling status for federal income tax purposes is married fi ling jointly, then you must show the same adjusted

gross income as on your IRS income tax return. You must show this amount even if you or your spouse did not earn or receive any income in Ohio.

Here is a link to the Ohio Instructions if you would like to read them yourself;

The instructions for Schedule D to use for the credit is included.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So - what I understand is that we would report my husband's income earned and received outside of Ohio, but it would be subtracted out of the amount of our total income that was subject to Ohio state income tax?

Hello again,

That is correct.


Robin D. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you