How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just learned that a Minister can apply to opt out of Social

This answer was rated:

I just learned that a Minister can apply to opt out of Social Security and FICA taxes by filing Form 4361. But I'm pst the 2-year deadline for filing--I took a position as an assistant Minister in the fall of 2007.

Is there any recourse? If not, does it make sense to file anyway--maybe my application will slip through?

Dear hlxwyse8 -


If your returns for 2007 and 2008 included more than $400 of self employment income, the IRS will not qualify for the exemption. Filing the application will start a process that will include reviewing prior years returns.


Question 5 on the Form 4361 asks what years you had income. By stating 2007 & 2008 with a filing in 2010, your exemption should be automatically denied.

MequonCPA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you