How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1561
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 2006 W2 states all income SC. In that year i was resident

Customer Question

My 2006 W2 states all income SC. In that year i was resident of both SC & NC so in yearly returns filed NC & SC splitting income between resident (SC) and non resident income (NC). Just now received demand from SC as return states less than W2. In follow up i faxed NC state return + copy of cashed cheque with non resident form and detailing the differences which i thought would resolve. officer advised needs amended W2 showing split NC/SC. Employer advised not possible as 4 years past since - how do i resolve?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 7 years ago.
If the work was in SC, then all of the income is also taxed in SC. You should have received a credit on your NC return for (some of) the tax paid to SC. Unfortunately, it's too late to amend the 2006 NC return (unless it was on extension).

If the work, while you were an NC resident, was also performed in NC, then you can properly use an SC4852 in SC, with the correct information, even if you cannot get an amended W2 from the employer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My work for the year was all performed in SC - Just my residency changed during the year from NC (first 5 months) to SC. On the W2 all tax was paid to SC (which I think is correct) and when I filed a yearly return (NC+SC) splitting the income between the states per residency I received $3200 refund from SC and paid $3100 to NC. I provided all this paperwork to the SC officer (including cashed NC check) who advised i need amended W2 which is not possible based on employer feedback. My total 2006 income was approx 100k. All paperwork was filed on time (march 2007).

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Arthur - does the additional information above help to clarify the situation?