How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Sir, I am NRA, My daughter U.S. Citizen. I wish to make wire

Resolved Question:

I am NRA, My daughter U.S. Citizen. I wish to make wire transfer Gifts from account
held outside U.S. Is ther a Gift tax liability ? What is the best method otherwis ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,


There would be no gift tax liability for a non resident alien to make a gift to a US citizen or resident of the US. However, depending on the amount of the gift, the US citizen may have some reporting requirements.


If a US citizen or resident of the US receives a gift from a foreign source that exceeds the amount of $100,000 USD in one year, then the person receiving the gift must file Form 3520 with the IRS to report receiving that money. There is no tax due with the filing of that form, but it is required for informational purposes only. Gifts below the threshold of $100,000 annually do not need to be reported.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.


Thank you JA Customer



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you