Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I havent filed my 2008 ny state taxes and also owe for 2009.

I haven't filed my 2008...
I haven't filed my 2008 ny state taxes and also owe for 2009. I expect the total amount will be about $4500. Can I qualify for an installment agreement even if I didn't file for a year (it was a part year return) and live out of state?
8/1/2010
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent

is your question regarding a NY or an IRS installment agreement?

Regards,

Mark D
A NY installment agreement not Federal.
Thank you for the additional information. To qualify for a NY installment agreement you will need to have any missing returns filed in addition to providing financial information to the Department of Taxation and Finance. In addition, any future taxes not filed or paid timely will result in a cancellation of a current installment agreement. You will want to file any missing returns and file 2009 so you can include the balance from 2009 amount on the agreement. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Mark D
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent

Mark,

Thank you very much! I was very nervous bc their webstate says it depends on the history of the tax payer and previous compliance. Its all very confusing and I am wondering if I need to hire a tax professional to handle this for me.

Mark D
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent