How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark D Your Own Question
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1304
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark D is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I havent filed my 2008 ny state taxes and also owe for 2009.

This answer was rated:

I haven't filed my 2008 ny state taxes and also owe for 2009. I expect the total amount will be about $4500. Can I qualify for an installment agreement even if I didn't file for a year (it was a part year return) and live out of state?

is your question regarding a NY or an IRS installment agreement?


Mark D
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
A NY installment agreement not Federal.
Thank you for the additional information. To qualify for a NY installment agreement you will need to have any missing returns filed in addition to providing financial information to the Department of Taxation and Finance. In addition, any future taxes not filed or paid timely will result in a cancellation of a current installment agreement. You will want to file any missing returns and file 2009 so you can include the balance from 2009 amount on the agreement. Please let me know if you have further questions.


Mark D
Mark D and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.



Thank you very much! I was very nervous bc their webstate says it depends on the history of the tax payer and previous compliance. Its all very confusing and I am wondering if I need to hire a tax professional to handle this for me.