How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I have a piece of property that was valued at $4,000 in

Resolved Question:

If I have a piece of property that was valued at $4,000 in 1983, and is sold in 2010 for $14,000. What would my capital gain tax be?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Was this just a vacant piece of land?


Also can you please tell me if you file your taxes as single or married?


How much other total income do you have for the year (including your spouse if you are married)?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is a vacant lot that I owned a part of an estate from my dad. I am married. The income can be considered under $100,000.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My dad died in 1983 and left me a lot that was worth $4.000 at that time. I can sell it now for $14,000.
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello again charles,


Thank you for the additional information.


If you inherited this property from your father, your basis would be whatever the fair market value was of the property on the day he died. If that was $4,000 and you sold the property for $14,000, you have a long term capital gain of $10,000 which would be taxed at a rate of 15%. So you would owe $1,500 in taxes on the sale of this land. This is assuming the land is sold in the year 2010. If the lot is not sold until next year, the capital gains tax rate is scheduled to increase to 20%.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.


Thank you charles



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you