Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is a money transfer from India to the U.S. taxable?

Transferring money from a foreign country to the U.S. is not in itself a taxable event. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident of this country, then taxes should have been paid on that money when it was first earned and received and not simply when it is transferred to a U.S. account.

Read full interaction below »

If I wire transferred money from India to U.S., is it taxable? I want to wire transfer $8,000 from India to the U.S.

8/1/2010
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 7 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Transferring money from a foreign country to the U.S. is not in itself a taxable event. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident of this country, then taxes should have been paid on that money when it was first earned and received and not simply when it is transferred to a U.S. account.

Is there any limit to the amount of transfer?

No, there is no limit on the amount of funds that you may transfer. Tax will still not be due simply because a transfer is made.

If the money you will be receiving is a gift from someone in another country or an inheritance from someone in a foreign country, then if the amount you are receiving exceeds $100,000 for the year, you are required to report the receipt of that gift or inheritance by filing Form 3520 with the IRS. But this is just an informational form and no taxes are due. Again, this is only required if the money is a gift or inheritance. If this is simply money you are transferring from your own account in India to the US, there is no limit on how much you can transfer and there are no reporting requirements.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant