How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark D Your Own Question
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1304
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark D is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my name is to be added to the deed of my fathers house

Resolved Question:

If my name is XXXXX XXXXX added to the deed of my father's house in Florida do I need a federal tax# XXXXX a withholding certificate?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 7 years ago.
A quit-claim deed does not in itself require reporting to the IRS. However, if actual ownership is being gifted, your father may need to file Form 709 (Gift Tax Return) if the amount of the gift is more than $13K. Although your father may have this filing requirement, you would not need to report the gift yourself or obtain an FEIN or withholding certificate. Please let me know if you have further questions.


Mark D
Mark D and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you