Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

The FTB (Franchise Tax Board) garnished my wages for unpaid

The FTB (Franchise Tax Board) garnished my wages for unpaid state taxes in california. It's because I didn't file. Now that I am filing, am I allowed to deduct the amount they already collected from me through garnishment?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 years ago.

You may deduct California state income taxes which were garnished from your wages on your federal tax return - schedule A - www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sa.pdf line 5 - to do so - you should itemize and choose to deduct income taxes (and not general sales taxes)

You may not deduct California state income taxes which were garnished from your wages on your California tax return - but that amount is treated as taxes paid (similar to taxes that were withheld from wages) and will reduce the amount you owe.

You should include that amount into the line 72 - 2009 CA estimated tax and other payments. - http://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2009/09_540.pdf and it will be credited against your total tax liability.

Let me know if you need any help.