Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Where do I put each amount on Form 4562?

Customer Question
Form 4562 is the only...

Form 4562 is the only form I cannot figure out. Could anyone give me the amounts and where to put each amount in on the form?

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
7/11/2010
Tax Professional: Anne, Master Tax Preparer replied 8 years ago
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I'm afraid I need some more information.

Form 4562 is used to show depreciation of business assets, either those placed in service in the current tax year, or the continuation of depreciation of assets placed in service in prior years.

Please tell me what kind of business you have, and whether you are filing as a Sole Proprietor on Form 1040 Schedule C, or if you have registered your business as some other type of entity (for example, a Partnership, S Corp, C Corp, etc.) and what assets are you trying to depreciate, and if this is the first year you are placing the assets in service this year.

Once I have a better understanding of how your business is set up, I'll be in a better position to help you.

All I really need to know is the numbers for depreciation for Form 4562.

I bought the truck on 10/01/2008 amount $132,301, what can I put in elected cost, basis for depreciation and depreciation deduction for 2008 taxes?

Also balance owed 2009 is $110,049. Do I still use $132,301 for cost? Do I put in elected cost again and if so for how much? Plus, the amount for basis for depreciation and depreciation deduction amount for 2009?

Hope you can help.

Okay there are some additional factors that play into this.

First, you MUST have mileage records showing Total Number of Miles the truck was driven, and the Total Number of Business Miles was driven. Number of Business Miles divided by number of Total miles driven gives you the percent of Business Use of your truck, and that's the place you start. (Although this can be 100% business use, it’s not always. If you use your truck to travel to a store or location that has nothing to do with work, then that would be considered to be personal use, and not deductible.) I know that truckers must keep logs, so your written documentation requirement for the IRS is generally covered by the logs.

Secondly, IRS has set up tables for depreciating assets, and they have assigned what they consider to be the useful life of an asset based on criteria known only to them I'm sure. IRS has assigned trucks a useful life of 5 years. Please see page 105 from below pub:

2009 Publication 946How To Depreciate Property

Since you purchased this truck in the last quarter of the year (October), IRS further limits your deduction by having you use a method called "Mid Quarter Convention". Really, this is not as complicated as it sounds. The basic idea here is if you had purchased your truck say in March, and I purchase mine in November, would you want my write off to be the same as yours? After all, you had to pay insurance/gas/registration/plates, etc. for many more months than I did, and that’s the basis behind that "Mid Quarter Convention". (This is assuming by the way that the truck was the most expensive asset you purchased in year 2008)

So, with those factors taken into account, let’s put this in English for you:

Your purchase price of the truck was $13,201. Assuming that you used the truck 100% for business, you will use the depreciation table A-5 found on page 79.in 2009 Publication 946How To Depreciate Property

For 2008, you will use page 2 of Form 4562 Part V "Listed Property Used more than 50% in a Qualified Business Use (line 26)

26 (a) you will list the make/model/year of truck (as much as will fit)

26(b) you will list the date you put the truck into service (this is generally the date you purchase it, but not always, especially if it wasn't licensed right away or needed some repair work first)

26(c) business percent - this is business miles divided by total miles driven - again I'm assuming this is used 100% for business use.

26(d) your cost ($132,301)

26(e) basis for depreciation (if 100% business use, basis for depreciation is $132,301) If basis for business was use based on mileage was say 90%, then 90% x $132,301 = $119,071

26(f) Recovery period, 5 years

26(g) already filled in for you

26(h) depreciation deduction. This is where the depreciation table I spoke of earlier comes in. The maximum deduction you could take in 2008 was $11,160 See below:

Trucks and Vans

BE SURE you complete Part B, lines 30-36 on page 2 of the Form 4562. This is where you may need your logs to fill in the number of miles driven and the number [SY2] business miles driven.

Since business percent may change based on number of business miles driven vs total miles driven, you will always need to fill out this form in exactly the same way, using the tables found in, Trucks and Vans link for the maximum amount you may claim.

Finally, to answer you last question, do you always use $132,301 as the cost basis, or do you subtract the amount that was depreciated. The answer to that question is that you ALWAYS start with the original cost basis. The only way this changes is if your business use drops below 100%, and then you would adjust it. You never adjust it for the deprecation taken, but you may never depreciate more than your cost basis in the asset.

I hope this helps.