How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29573
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what happens if receipts for an audit (2-3 years ago) have

Resolved Question:

what happens if receipts for an audit (2-3 years ago) have been destroyed by flooding?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

When auditing a taxpayer, the IRS agent generally asks to provide supporting documents. If receipts or other documents may not be provided - the risk is - that the IRS agent will disallow some deductions.


If receipts are not available - ask your bank for copies of canceled checks or credit card statements with dates and amounts of the expenses.

In some situations your personal records, expense account logs might be accepted.


If you've lost tax returns - you may get a tax return transcripts or actual copies of your returns from the IRS.


Reconstructing records after a flooding may be essential for tax purposes, getting federal assistance or insurance reimbursement.

If you need help - contact IRS DIsaster Assistance Hot Line 1-866-562-5227

For specific recommendation - see IRS Publication 4758, Reconstructing Your Records - page 9 -


Let me know if you need any help.


Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks so much

Related Tax Questions