How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29800
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have started a non-profit pet adoption service.

Resolved Question:

My husband and I have started a non-profit pet adoption service. We are incorporated with our state and have obtained our tax ID number. Now we face the daunting task of form 1023 for the IRS. Since we are a non-profit corporation, and have just launched last week, the funds are not available to pay the user fee and pay someone to complete the form for us. We’ve seen many guides on the internet for doing this on your own, but are a little worried about doing this right. We’ve been told that if not completed correctly and fully there can be many delays involved with this process. One of our major goals is to provide low cost spay/neuter clinics for the community, but without our 501c3, we can not get the funding for this.
Do you have any helpful suggestions or tips on the process of obtaining a 501c3 with the IRS?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

As for the status of 501c3 charitable organization - the status is based on the bylaws of entity - as long as all legal requirements are met - you may treat the organization as charitable and that organization may accept donations.

However - there is an established practice to obtain the determination letter from the IRS - and based on your intention - you likely is going to submit all required documentation to obtain that letter - that is the purpose of the form 1023.


If you have difficulties to complete the form - you may hire a local tax preparer or CPA to do that for your organization.

You wrote "the funds are not available to pay the user fee and pay someone to complete the form for us" - that is not correct - you may use funds as needed as long as your bylaws allows you to do so.

If you will file on your own - download Publication 557, Tax-Exempt Status for Your Organization - that is the most helpful guide. Still I suggest to have a local CPA to verify your filing.


If the IRS will reject your application or revoke the status of charitable organization - all donations will be invalidated as charitable donations - that is the risk of making charitable donations before the determination letter is issued.


Generally, tax-exempt organizations must file an annual information return. Tax-exempt organizations that have annual gross receipts not normally in excess of $25,000 are not required to file the annual information return, but may be required to file an annual electronic notice (e-Postcard) Form 990-N. In addition, churches and certain religious organizations, certain state and local instrumentalities, and other organizations are excepted from the annual return filing requirement.


. In addition, Publications 4221-PC and 4221-PF explain the filing and record keeping rules that apply to section 501(c)(3) tax-exempt public charities and private foundations respectively.


Let me know if you need any help.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.

When I said the funds were not available, my meaning was that we are very new and there hasn't been enough donations made to cover these fees. We live in a rural area in South Arkansas and obtaining donations to cover a major expense like this will probably prove to be difficult.

Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

If your organization doesn't have enough funding - you may want to postpone its operations or operate on limited resources - means most work would be done by you or other volunteers without compensation.

You still may accept donations, but should clear inform donees that tax deductions would be allowed only after you receive a determination letter from the IRS.


You may also negotiate with a local CPA that he/she will help without charge, reduce charge, or the compensation will be based on future funding.

You may also contact other non-profit organizations in your area for consultations and help.

If you will do filing on your own - there is no choice but to educate yourself - starting from IRS Publication 557.

The IRS provides Web-Based Training for Tax-Exempt Organizations - you might be interested in Applying for Tax-Exempt Status – How to make the application process easier and quicker for new organizations.


Let me know if you need any help.


Lev and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you